Sunday, December 10, 2006

I will spare you the details of my papers which have been occupying far more of my time than any of these things

Yesterday at 4 I experienced high tea, in all of its ridiculously British glory. I only had a couple of the little finger sandwiches and one scone (albeit with jam and clotted cream) and I was full until about 9:30 pm. I'm guessing my body just couldn't figure out what to do with all that animal fat. "Is this butter or lard? I need to know, it's a matter of legality! Close the gates! Fullness receptors at full steam!" I will say, however, that I had never been a huge fan of scones until I had this one. Warm, butter(?)y, cranberry deliciousness. Then more fat and sugar on top. The British know how to do scones. I think my weak American stomach can only handle one every two months, though.

---

We saw Evita at the Adelphi on Tuesday and it was quite fabulous. After years of listening to my Andrew Lloyd Webber collection, I was finally able to lend some context to the song "Another Suitcase in Another Hall." I also had a new appreciation for live theatre and the surprising difficulty of followspotting after my adventures last weekend.

---

Months of staring at the demented basketweave of the Tube map make the T map look like a tic tac toe board. Oh, how I miss the simplicity. The lines are named by color. (How quaint.) Zones? What are they? Even the green line looks laughably tame in comparison. The MBTA is, however, upgrading to Charliecards which will be most excellent after being spoiled by my Oystercard, Big Brother aside. I don't think I could have gone back to tokens after this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home