Thursday, December 07, 2006

I told myself I'd write 1000 words today and I may have if you count this blog entry

Today we ate at a sushi restaurant that pretty much sums up the Japanese monopoly on cute. The seating surrounds an open kitchen, and around the kitchen there is a conveyor belt on which the cooks place small dishes of food, color coded by price. You sit down, fill up your water glass with the taps at your table (one for still, one for fizzy, and now I want a tap in my house that dispenses seltzer water), and pluck dishes off the conveyor belt at whim. If you don't see what you want, you press the red [easy] button built into your table and someone comes to take your order. I didn't like sushi going in, so maybe it was the atmosphere or maybe it was because the last sushi I had came from the grocery store, but I tried it again and I actually liked it. I also ate a lot of ginger from the jar at the table because it was free and nibbly and I didn't feel like paying for more sushi.

During the Freshers' Fayre back in September, in which all the clubs come together to trick you into signing up for their email lists with which they will forever spam you with "MOVIE NIGHT THIS WEEKEND" emails, I was innocently squeezing through the crowd when the Christian Society thrust upon me a goodie bag which consisted of a can of baked beans and a Gideon's bible. Okay, beans I can eat but what would I, the lapsedest of the lapsed, do with a bible? I've still got enough Catholic pack rat in me to feel badly recycling it, so it ended up in the back of one of my drawers where the guilt rays might be stopped by the Formica desktop. There was no guilt whatsoever eating the beans (hey, they gave 'em to me), but now I feel really weird because I need to reference the New Testament for my Jewish Studies essay on the Dead Sea Scrolls and what they can tell us about early Christianity (the answer? not much), and of all the sources I could possibly already have in my minimalist overseas bedroom, I already have a bible in my room to look at. I'm no bible expert (clearly) but it feels a bit unscholarly to be referencing a text I essentially got off the street, even if it is the bible. I also feel doubly traitorous for using a version that a) is Protestant and b) doesn't have the Old Testament in it. Is this a reputable translation? I don't know. What if it's the most propagandist of all the possible versions? I wouldn't know, I stopped paying attention in CCD after I learned which hand to pick up the wafer with. And I'm far too lazy to go to the library to get another version. In the Seven Deadly Sins Death Match, sloth wins out every time where college kids are concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home