Monday, November 20, 2006

More interesting than a stick of deodorant

So, a brief recap of the past week or two:

Despite my raging homebodiness I flew to Geneva over reading week to visit my good friend K, who generously allowed me to crash at her place despite the Nazis still stationed in Switzerland who did not allow non-paying overnight visitors. I slept in her stoner roommate's bed, and the roommate slept/smoked elsewhere, meaning I only smelled minimally of pot upon my return home. K had classes during the day, so she let me loose on the city of Geneva armed with four different currencies (did you know Switzerland doesn't use the Euro? I didn't) and a minimal knowledge of French, and it was fabulous. I bought lots of chocolate and did a lot of gesturing and searching for free bathrooms. Geneva was beautiful and clean and quite small. In the evenings K and I hung out and shopped and ate and watched movies, because that's what college kids do in EVERY country.

After that I trekked up to Oxford to visit my other friend M to celebrate her 21st. Let's sum up: weekend in Oxford = touristy photo-taking and looking at pretty buildings + typical 21st birthday debauchery + fries covered in cheese and garlic mayonnaise + crew and other quintessentially Oxonian activities + cookies the size of my head. Also let me just say that Oxford thinks it invented gunpowder and democracy.

This past week we saw Frost/Nixon at the Gielgud which was excellent despite my embarrassing ignorance regarding Watergate. Afterwards we were passing by the Odeon Theatre in Leicester Square, where the James Bond premiere was taking place, when a cop came up to us and asked us if we wanted to see the queen (the QUEEN! Of ENGLAND!) and all the stars. Um, no thanks, I've had my fill of celebrity for the day. Does he even have to ask that question?? He fed us into the crazy commonfolk fan area and we ended up being about twenty feet from Lizzie herself, as well as Daniel Craig, Paris Hilton, and Sting. Someone in our section shouted "Daniel!" as he walked by, and he waved RIGHT AT US and SAID SOMETHING TO US. I think it was "See the film!" but it was still aimed in our direction. Yep, that's right, now when people ask you about your celebrity connections, instead of saying "My mom's brother's dentist has a client who lives next door to Kathy Griffin's dogwalker" you can just say "Um this awesome girl whose blog I read is pretty much BFFs with James Bond."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home