Sunday, October 15, 2006

I'm making my way up in the world

So. Thursday night (or early Friday morning), I met the man, the genius, the god that is Eddie Izzard. R and I went to his work in progress show at the Soho Theatre, which was small and intimate (we were in the fourth row and still only about 15 feet from him). He did his show in man-gear, and without heels he's actually quite small, only about two inches taller than I am. He was amazing of course, and I nearly peed myself laughing but didn't out of respect for the nice employees of the theatre. They had enough on their hands with all the drunk people and their random mid-show shoutouts. Maybe I have to go to AA meetings to understand Drunkese but all I could make out were "silverfish" and something about a cat in a puddle. Eddie did his show with an "Intelligent Design" theme and the presence of these folks probably did nothing to improve his opinion of it. So I suppose that's a good thing.

After the show, R and I decided on a whim to try to find the elusive stage door, through which, we assumed, Eddie would exit to avoid crazed fans like ourselves. We rounded the block searching for unimportant-looking doors, to no avail, and were regrouping on a streetcorner, trying not to look like confused tourists or modestly dressed prostitutes, when who walks out the regular old front doors of the theatre but Eddie! To whom we spoke! We apologized for hailing from the country with the highest percentage of general idiots and asked him to sign our tickets, which he did WITH MY HEALTH SERVICES PEN WHICH I WILL TREASURE FOREVER AND WHICH PROBABLY STILL HAS HIS FINGERPRINTS ON IT AHHHHHH! For about two minutes, the little dots that say "Christina" and "Eddie" on the Marauder's Map of the world were only THIIIIIIIS far apart. We're like, total BFFs now.

Then waiting for the bus home, after several hundred "OH MY GOD"s and a slightly delirious phone call to my equally-Eddie-obsessed brother, we discovered a window decal on the inside of the bus shelter that said "Is Justin doing Christina?" which of course topped off the night with just the right amount of absurdity. (And the answer is "not to my knowledge" if you were wondering.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home