Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hand me that screwdriver, wink wink

In an effort to be social and to try something new with the built-in escape route of "if it doesn't work out, I'm leaving in a year anyway," I joined the backstage theatre crew here. These last few days have been taken up with hours of training in sound, lighting, and, naturally, the general backstage workings of a theatre. The fact that I, Commitmentphobius Clubflakeus, have gone to more than two meetings of any one society is reason to wonder about the tap water here. On the other hand, the people running the meetings have accents that make me want to sit there all evening, even if I have not understood a word about amps or which knobs do what on the sound board. I paid attention today, though, because being taught to climb a vertical ladder several times the height of my house requires a bit more concentration and a bit less guesswork as to the geographic origins of the speaker's accent.

So I fully plan to return to the States* a Techie Goddess, with calloused hands and a working knowledge of a sound board and lights and other electrical things, though my lexicon of construction-related words will be mostly comprised of British tool names, so I can't even brag without consulting Wikipedia for the American translation.

In other news, tomorrow is EDDIE! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!


* Let me just say that my frequent and unthinking use of the somewhat pretentious term "the States" both amuses and disgusts me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home