Thursday, September 28, 2006

Care package makers take note

Today at my department's welcome party, the affiliate tutor (which is just a fancy name for "advisor for confused Americans studying abroad"), who is also American, breezed past me brandishing a cookie from the food table and said, "YOU know what these are!" It looked like a chocolate chip cookie to me; was there something unique about this one that I should have instantly recognized? And having met him twice for about 5 minutes at a time, I wasn't sure how he was so certain of my knowledge of obscure baked goods. But in fact it was just a regular old chocolate chip cookie, and he informed me that Britain does not know the wonders of the Toll House cookie. And lo, one of the British people we were talking to said, as haltingly as if reading the "Learn Chinese" off the back of the fortune cookie, "Toll... House? Is that a special type of... biscuit?" I must do further research to find out if Britain doesn't do the whole chocolate chip thing at all (I have seen chocolate chip muffins so I am doubting this) or if it is just Toll House brand chocolate chips (and that wonderful recipe on the back) that can't be found here. A nation devoid of Toll House is a suffering nation, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home